[Xastir-dev] Github README

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 08:35:30 PDT 2019

I was thinking about that github:xastir/Xastir page in terms of a
first-time user: They want instructions for compiling and getting it
running RIGHT NOW. They don't care about 95% of what's in README there. At
least that's where my head is at when I'm hunting down a project and
cloning it.

I've been to quite a few other Github sites where the README describes what
the software is/does, then how to get it up and running. Maybe pointers to
more detailed docs at the end. That's probably how ours should be as well.
No extra cruft or side discussions.

Looking at the below link I'm left with questions. They talk more about the
project than how to get it running RIGHT NOW. Perhaps putting compile/run
instructions in the earlier part of it and then the project stuff later
might work?

https://help.github.com/en/articles/about-readmes

Curt, WE7U        http://we7u.wetnet.net        http://www.sarguydigital.com