[Xastir-dev] Git question

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Apr 22 09:21:55 PDT 2019

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 11:05:00AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <godfreja at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Is origin Xastir/Xastir and upstream we7u/Xastir?
> In any case, I would probably try a git pull from origin

upstream is Xastir/Xastir and origin is we7u/Xastir.

> In general I try to avoid working in master. I will do work in another
> branch and have master track the "official" master. If needed I will update
> my local master  and then merge master into my branch to pick up any
> changes from upstream.

What he said.

> Another option would be creating a new branch that matches GitHub master
> and then cherry picking the commits you need from your local master into
> it. Once everything is checked in upstream you can blow away that clone and
> start over.

See my reply, where I give the exact set of commands necessary to put it
right again.

Blowing away the clone is unnecessary, you just need to use the right set of
resets and force pushes.

The problem here is that not only did Curt work on master, but he pushed the
changes in master to his fork.  Then I pushed other changes to upstream,
and he rebased his local clone to that.  This caused a divergence between
the local clone, upstream, and the fork.

Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM