[Xastir-dev] Auto-packaging

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Apr 22 13:25:52 PDT 2019

I have thoughts on this.

I hate the idea of this project being in the business of providing binaries
for distros.

The reason for this is precisely the one in your last sentence before the
word "Thoughts?"

I personally have a full-time job that already involves doing software
testing, packaging, and distribution using Jenkins, a large build farm, and
CPack's package generators (even though my job is *supposed* to be
doing R&D), and I don't need a second one that doesn't pay.  I am unwilling to
chase down all the possible distros to set up virtual machines so that I can
build (or automate the building of) packages for operating systems I don't use
and do the work required to get every single package maintainer to place the
new package into a package repository.

Travis is great for picking up build errors, but the limited set of
systems it supports means it's basically useless for overcoming the real
issues we have of distro support.  That *has* to be left to people who
actually work in the package system of each distro.

Even if you create packages, they won't be part of any distro's package
management system unless the package maintainer for the distro chooses
(or is allowed) to push it to the package repo.

If you feel like setting up a jenkins instance and running a suite of
docker or virtual machines, learning every distro's packaging system,
and doing all that work, then I have no problem with you doing it.
And when you inevitably get exhausted by the process (and the likely endless
requests to add one more system to the mix) I'll be very happy to
say "I told you so."

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 12:28:24PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY