[Xastir-dev] Procedure for updating a topic branch from upstream/master?

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 17:51:21 PDT 2019

Scenario: I have a topic branch I'm working on. A pull request or a direct
commit goes into upstream master. How should I update my topic branch?

What I've been doing:

Commit any changes to my topic branch.
git checkout master
git pull upstream master
git push origin master # To keep my Fork up-to-date
git checkout <topic branch>
git merge master

That procedure is what I think resulted in the merge commit earlier that
you didn't like in my later pull request off the topic branch. Improvements
to my procedure? I'd hate to wait for each of my pull requests to get
merged before I begin the next topic branch, plus that doesn't protect me
against somebody else's pull request getting merged or a direct commit to
upstream master: I still need a good method to update my local master, my
origin master, and my topic branch(es).

--
Curt, WE7U        http://we7u.wetnet.net        http://www.sarguydigital.com