[Xastir-dev] Editor header in source files

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Apr 30 11:00:38 PDT 2019

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 10:23:20AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Thanks. Looks like the equivalent in Vim is Modelines:
>
> https://vim.fandom.com/wiki/Modeline_magic
>
> But a lot of the major distributions turn off modelines by default.
>
> We should either have the Emacs and VIM Modelines in all the source files,
> or none of them.

Then I vote for all of them.  If we take out those Emacs local vars settings,
I would have to change my Emacs defaults every time I open it to edit
Xastir code.  Either that, or every time I edit Xastir code I would have
to manually fix its incorrect (for project standards) indentation choices.

I would still advocate leaving the variable settings in the file, to
override personal defaults and enforce project defaults.

> Our source guidelines specify 4-spaces per tab, no embedded tab characters.
> As I edit various files I sometimes get a 4-char space tab, sometimes a
> regular 8-char tab, and that is with Vim so I don't know why it is changing
> from file to file 'cuz I don't see modelines in there for Vim. I might be
> missing them.

There are no Vim modelines as far as I can tell.  I couldn't guess why
Vim would edit different files with different defaults.  Must be something
about specifics of your vim settings, though.  Can't help you there, I'm
not a vim user.

> On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 9:52 AM Hal Mueller <hal at seanet.com> wrote:
>
> > That???s for Emacs. You can specify major mode and per-file variables.
> >

> > https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Choosing-Modes.html
> >

> > https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Specifying-File-Variables.html#Specifying-File-Variables
> >
> > Hal
> > N3YX
> >
> > > On Apr 30, 2019, at 9:20 AM, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I haven't seen this before, but it does make my emacs behave differently
> > > (the file had 2 space tabs, this made it do 4) and does nothing to vi.
> > >
> > > RHEL 7
> > >
> > > -j

> > tab is

> > with