[Xastir-dev] Proposal to change project coding standards: Please vote!

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed May 1 09:42:32 PDT 2019

On Wed, May 01, 2019 at 11:32:25AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kg4wsv at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> I don't actually contribute here, so feel free to throw this one out.
>
> 1) spaces - abstain
> 2) line up braces vertically
> 3) include braces when optional
>
> thoughts: I generally prefer 4 spaces, but since the code is as deep as Tom
> describes 2 probably make sense. those of you doing the work can decide.
>
> including optional braces not only improves readability (IMO) but it also
> reduces the chance of introducing errors (e.g. if you're switching back and
> forth between C and the Harbor Freight of programming languages, python.
> This has burned computer engineering students who see python before C).

We just cleaned up a bunch of warnings from GCC8 about "misleading indentation"
because some statements were indented as if they were intended to be guarded
by a conditional, but weren't (and shouldn't have been --- the indentation
was just wrong).

Presumably this warning is there in the newer GCC precisely because of the
Python/C issue.  That had never occurred to me before you mentioned it.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM