[Xastir-dev] Heads-up: Festival replacement may need to be found

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun May 12 17:30:02 PDT 2019

I hit send a bit too quickly…

This link has some good information:

http://blog.michaelamerz.com/wordpress/the-state-of-the-art-linux-text-to-speech-tts/ <http://blog.michaelamerz.com/wordpress/the-state-of-the-art-linux-text-to-speech-tts/>

I think Mimic (the TTS engine from Mycroft) might well be a good choice. If we want, we could also add skills for Mycroft that would allow it to go both directions… Not only TTS, but we could command XASTIR hands free with speech.Initially this could be some pretty rudimentary things like “center map on <callsign>”, “zoom in”, “zoom out”, etc. Then, over time, we could develop more and more useful command sets.

Just a thought.

Owen