[Xastir-dev] interface xastir to aprs-over-lora

Jason Winningham kg4wsv at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 17:35:57 PDT 2021

lots of good information in Tom’s response.

The answer depends on what your goal is. A fully integrated LoRa APRS network bridged/routed to a standard AX.25 network would be a challenge.  Doable, but certainly not trivial. If the goal is to use LoRa to import data from the oft-maligned “dumb tracker” or some sort of sensor for display in xastir, the problem is a bit simpler.

I haven’t used LoRa, but I have used Xbee 900MHz data radios in a way that sounds similar toy what you are describing.

These xbee radios are point-to-point or broadcast.  I configure dumb trackers (for tracking rockets) in broadcast mode, and the code is written to time-slot the transmissions to avoid collisions. The digital side of the radio is a simple serial interface. The tracker prints a TNC2 format string to the radio, which is received by the ground station radio and transmitted via RS232 to an xastir port configured as a "serial TNC”.

The TNC2 format has the advantage of being human readable, so I can hand a radio+usb/rs232 adapter to a student with a windows laptop and a simple terminal program, and they can easily see the coordinates in the position report. Not as nice as a map, but in the past everyone had HyperTerm on a windows laptop, and putty is a free substitute. It is also possible to use multiple receivers, e.g. a simple dipole on one receiver and a yogi on another, to allow for different distances. This is helpful since the distance can change quite quickly during a rocket’s flight.

Getting this data retransmitted (digipeated) is problematic because digi software is not designed to accept TNC2 format packets for multiple legitimate reasons.  In my attempt to accomplish this I experimented with modifying the code of a popular digi software	package whose name escapes me at the moment. The modification was not as simple as I understood the author to imply, and I lost the hardware where that code lived.

If you are starting from the ground up and have digipeating to an AX.25 network as a requirement, I’d probably use a KISS mode packet. If you requirements, like mine, are a bit simpler, TNC2 may do the job.

-Jason