[Xastir-dev] LORA and interfacing

Steve stevewa206 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 13:38:05 PDT 2021

I’ve noticed that the KISS implementation on a lot of these devices is a
forked over version of the Rnode. He used the Sx 1276 chip as well because
it has really good RX sensitivity at the lower rates. He also has a newer
and easier form of KiSSattach.
https://github.com/markqvist/tncattach

I like your thoughts about changing modulation on the fly. I’ve seen it
done with higher level stuff , Ubiquiti and others.  Just wonder how much
it would slow things down. Cause I think you would do that per packet.
Maybe per connection.

Right now I’m just interested in tying a few of the different versions and
seeing what works. No real goals in mind, just checking it out and
experimenting.

I’ve thought about a repeater, but that would kill the great RX sensitivity
, but a digi would be good. A old style repeater separated by distance and
a link would work.

Might even try Winlink on it and see what what happens when I stir that pot!

So many ideas.

Steve N0FPF

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 12:58 PM Kristoff <kristoff at skypro.be> wrote:

> Steve,
>

> I also have this model:
>
> https://www.amazon.nl/DollaTek-LoRa32-SD-kaart-draadloze-module/dp/B07RXSKPBX/
>
> The disadvantage is that it lacks the 8 Mbit PSRAM chip (which is on the
> T-beam) so the ESP32 is a bit short on memory for embedded python. (less
> then 1 MByte of RAM available).
>

> Software development-wize, perhaps it makes more sense to turn the
> radio-device into just a dumb 'packet-modem', connect it to a
> single-board computer (say, a raspberry pi) and do all development
> overthere. That way you can run higher-level code, easily interface with
> the internet, connect other devices (e.g. a VHF/UHF packet mode), etc.
>
> Last week, I found this python module for processing aprs message (*)
> which I think would be a good basis to do some experimental development
> for aprs-code.
>

> I do like the sx1276 chip. It has a couple of nice features.
>
> - as it also has a FSK modem, It might also be able to transmit POCSAG
> (paging) messages. If this works, we should be able to build a
> APRS-to-POCSAG gateway with just one piece of hardware: send a aprs
> text-message to a certain APRS node and it transmit that message as a
> POCSAG paging message.
>
> I once wrote some code to create pocsag-message. (**)
>

> - The automatic header-detection in lora is nice,
> This means that if you send a packet with (say) a coding-rate of 4/8 to
> a lora-node configured with 4/5, the chip will still receive and decode it.
>
> So, if you know that you are in area with bad APRS-over-lora coverage,
> you can switch to a coding-rate that provides better error-correction
> (like 4/8). Your packets will become larger (by 37.5 % in this case) but
> your packet might still arrive, which it might not have done with a
> coding-rate of 4/5.
>
> Note that that bandwidth and Spread-Factor do need to match. If not,
> your packet will not be demodulated/decoded.
>
> - Another nice thing is that, although the chip does have CRC-generation
> and CRC validation in silicon, it will still pass packets to the
> receiver, even if they fail the CRC check.
> It will flag it as 'CRC error', but the code on application-level will
> still be able to retrieve it.
> Most other radio-chips I have looked at so far do have do not do this
> and will silently drop that message.
>
> This would allow for a nice lora "DX-ing" mode by implementing
> additional error-correction code on application-level.
>

> Ah yes, there is also a GNU Radio implementation of the Lora PHY. (***)
> I haven't tried it yet, so I do not know if it works but It would be
> interesting to experiment with this, e.g. tweaking the parameters even
> further to do even further DX.
>

> I am not on Facebook.
>
> I prefer mailing-lists for in-depth discussions. To get real-time help,
> ...  I am on matrix / element.io which is an open-source and
> decentralized IM/voice/video service.
> [...]
Pardon the brevity, sent from a mobile device. So there.