[Xastir-dev] Maybe it's time for a 2.1.8 release?

Paul J. Morris mole at morris.net
Thu Oct 14 13:53:15 PDT 2021

Another thumbs up to a 2.1.8 point release.

It is also worth considering the github - zenodo integration, a github project can be configured to archive a copy of a tagged release in zenodo, complete with a DOI.

-Paul

On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:50:59 -0500
Jason Godfrey <godfreja at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I agree with a point release and simplifying the release process.
>
> 73
> - Jason
>
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 9:47 AM Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
>
> > Gang:
> >
> > It's been over a year since our last Xastir release, and there has
> > been very
> > little development since then -- mostly minor tweaks to the build
> > system necessary to keep Xastir building as compilers, libraries,
> > and autoconf/automake keep dropping support for old things we used
> > to do.
> >
> > We just got a pull request to fix a dumb autoconf issue that broke
> > Xastir builds on gentoo when using the very latest
> > autoconf/automake.  It was utterly trivial to fix.
> >
> > Most of these things are hacks that are already being addressed by
> > package maintainers using local patches, but we've addressed them
> > in the base package
> > so it would simplify their processes if we just pushed out a new
> > point release.
> > The gcc10 fixes we did a while back were of this ilk, and our
> > pushing out the 2.1.6 release helped get those changes to everyone
> > instead of every OS having to patch them up themselves.
> >
> > It is also the case that some distros and non-linux operating
> > systems don't update Xastir except when we do official releases, so
> > pushing out a new release
> > would help those OSen stay up to date.
> >
> > We've had a "2.2.0" project on the github page for a really long
> > time and there has been no motion on the 6 "to do" or "in progress"
> > items needed to call
> > that release done.  So I do not propose we call our next release
> > 2.2.0, but just 2.1.8, capturing the state as it is right now.
> >
> > Does anyone have any objections to making such a release in short
> > order?
> >
> > Also:  our current "release process" is a little antiquated and is
> > designed to minimize the "surprise" when transitioning from our old
> > SourceForge/CVS release process to our new github.  The big one is
> > that we do this weird thing so that the tarballs created for our
> > releases are "pre-bootstrapped" so they're ready to go upon being
> > downloaded instead of requiring the user to run bootstrap.
> >
> > It's years now since we moved to git, and maintaining clunky release
> > processes
> > to accomodate those who only know CVS seems long past its sell-by
> > date.
> >
> > There are downsides to this clunky release approach, almost all on
> > my end ---
> > it makes it much harder to create a release, because we have to
> > create a branch, do funky things on that branch to make bootstrap
> > artifacts no longer
> > ignored, commit those things, and then tag the end of the branch as
> > the release (and the tag can then be used at github to create the
> > tarballs for the
> [...]

Paul J. Morris
Biodiversity Informatics Manager
Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, Harvard University
mole at morris.net  AA3SD  PGP public key available