[Xastir-dev] Maybe it's time for a 2.1.8 release?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Oct 14 18:30:43 PDT 2021

For what it's worth, I checked get-NWSdata and it is, for the moment, correct
and pointing to all the current NWS data on line.  So that's good to go.

I will wait until Sunday, probably, before moving forward with this.  If you
object to the idea of declaring the current master branch state a "release"
this is the time to pipe in.

You can see my modifications of the release process in pull request 182,
which Jason has already approved, and which I'll merge to master before
doing the release according to that process.

This is also the time to comment on *that* if you have any objections.

https://github.com/Xastir/Xastir/pull/182

I am also cutting/pasting what I intend to be the release notes for the 2.1.8
release. (since this list doesn't allow attachments).

------
This is primarily a maintenance release to assure that build problems
on some distros are addressed in released code, but there are a few bug
fixes in it as well.

 - The Xastir project no longer provides tar files that have been
   "bootstrapped" --- all users of Xastir source must now run
   "bootstrap.sh" to create the configure script irrespective of how
   they've obtained the code (through a release tarball, github
   master branch tarball or git clone).

 - If Xastir crashes, instances of the network server no longer stick
   around to interfere with starting up a new copy of Xastir. (issue
   #130)

 - The get-NWSdata script now correctly respects the install prefix in
   all its steps (pull request #172)

 - Xastir's probe for libproj no longer looks for the deprecated
   function pj_init, making it compatible with newer versions of the
   proj library.  (issue #173)

 - Some unused, buggy diagnostic code has been removed.  This code was
   causing segfaults on some systems.  (issue #174)

 - Some debugging code that was unintentionally left in place caused
   Xastir to output some diagnostic information to standard error,
   leading users to think there was a problem.  The information was
   unimportant to anyone but a developer working on that bit of the
   code, and was not indicative of a problem at all.  It has been
   removed.

 - Some very ancient autoconf code was updated to work with more
   recent versions of autoconf.  This removes several deprecation
   warnings, but more importantly removes fatal errors in the most
   recent version of automake (pull request #181)

 - The "install-xastir" script has been removed.  Users are encouraged
   to read the INSTALL document follow all directions.  There is no
   shortcut, and the presence of this script implied that there was.

-----

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 08:46:28AM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> Gang:
>
> It's been over a year since our last Xastir release, and there has been very
> little development since then -- mostly minor tweaks to the build system
> necessary to keep Xastir building as compilers, libraries, and
> autoconf/automake keep dropping support for old things we used to do.
[...]

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM