[Xastir-dev] More on "Time for a new release"

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Jul 27 17:42:24 PDT 2023

I seem to have deleted my original "Time to push on a new release" email
so can't just respond to it.

TL;DR version:  If you think you can work on open Xastir bugs this week, please
do it and let me know you're doing it, otherwise the code is getting released
as version 2.2.0 next Friday.

Not too long, willing to read version:
To recap, we need to get a new release out with a handful of fixes that are
preventing Xastir from being included in new Linux distros.  Debian is getting
rid of PCRE and any packages that require it, and so we must work with PCRE2
instead.  Other distros will follow.

There were 8 issues in the "Release 2.2.0" project
(https://github.com/Xastir/Xastir/projects/2) that we said had to be fixed for
2.2.0 to be released, but those have been ignored for a long time.  I have
fixed 4 of them this week (amazing how much open source work you can manage
when you retire from your day job).

I have moved the others to the "Release 2.2.2" project on Github
(https://github.com/orgs/Xastir/projects/1) on the assumption that they will
not be addressed soon.  All of those were issues other people had wanted to
work on.

If you're one of the folks who wanted to work on one of those four issues
and think you can knock it out *quickly*, then please feel free to re-add
it to the 2.2.0 project (or email me saying you want me to do that if you
don't have permission).

If nobody contacts me within a week (or moves an issue from 2.2.2 back to 2.2.0)
I will release 2.2.0 as a point release off master next Friday, 4 August.

We need to get a release out because package managers don't like to use
random points in a git repo to build packages --- it's gotta be a release
in most cases.

The things I fixed this week:
  - Add PCRE2 support  #203
  - Remove deprecated autoconf macros (mostly to shut up warnings from
    bootstrap) #202
  - Remove really ancient ImageMagick API breakage workarounds (we will now
    require a version of ImageMagick6 at least as new as 6.6.9, which was
    released in 2015). #25
  - fixed an issue where some shapefiles that had no dbfawk file associated
    (or that had a dbfawk file that didn't properly initialize display_level)
    would not be displayed at "entire world" zoom levels. #156

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM