[Xastir] Question/suggestion

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Thu Aug 15 09:01:37 EDT 2002

I've used Jabber in the past, when they were just getting jabberd 1.0
ready for release. I tried setting up a jabber server on my system, but
getting transports to work at all was a problem for me. Granted that was
a long time ago and last I heard they had a much better way to do
transport installs.

But what would this require for msging for Xastir? Would each Xastir
user have to run jabberd? The simplicity of a jabber client depends on
the concept of the client only connecting to a jabber server and then
the *server* is what connects to all the various other IM systems for
interoperability.

The idea of having each Xastir user running a jabber server is not very
appealing to me. Likewise, having a central jabber server for Xastir
users kind of makes an internet connection a requirement and is not a
good thing.

Now, since the jabberd server is open source, and so are many clients,
we could incorporate some of their code into some decent msg interface
code as well as a way to communicate with 'the central xastir database'
which would incorporate some jabberd code to accept connections. Forget
all the 'Jabber Transport' module stuff.

73 KJ5O
Lance Cotton

--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
Apple decided to charge money for my mac.com address so:
joe at lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat
the cookies.