[Xastir] Question/suggestion

Ken Koster n7ipb at wetnet.net
Thu Aug 15 11:40:30 EDT 2002

Obviously there's a bunch of jabber users on here :-)

On Thursday 15 August 2002 06:23, Jerry Chamberlin wrote:
> Someone needs to put in an "Instant" fix
>
> On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
> > I dunno.  This is all starting to sound like some sort of gaim to me...

> > Jerry Chamberlin wrote:
> > > Get Everybuddy to run Everybuddy

I admit that when the idea popped into my head I hadn't given a lot of
thought to implementation details.  I certainly wouldn't expect each user
to run jabberd.  I was more or less thinking along the lines of a system
where Xastir was running headless (something we don't do yet) with
a jabber transport providing a connection to it's messaging abilities.
I hadn't thought much beyond that.

How's this for a possibility.  The jabber APRS transport allows a user to
register and every registered and connected user is broadcast by Xastir
as having a location with ambiguity of that of the Xastir station.  Or
another possibility would be for the registered user to provide a location
that would be broadcast by Xastir for him.

You could then view positions with a web browser, and message using any
jabber client.

Ken,  N7IPB