[Xastir] Xastir as a geo display

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Sep 19 13:28:29 EDT 2002

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 pdickson at att.net wrote:

> Is there a way for another program on the same machine to feed APRS packets
> directly to Xastir?  That could be used to display various things that the other
> software is aware of on the same map, without necessarily broadcasting the info
> over the air.  Sort of using Xastir as a geographic status display.

Kind'a sort'a.  I wrote a package called aprsdPERL that I run on
this machine.  I sometimes start up two copies of it, connecting
Xastir to both.  The first copy connects out to three internet
servers (can be _many_ more) and feeds packets to/from Xastir.

For the second copy I have other perl scripts inject things into it
so that only my local copy of Xastir sees them.  I do this for
testing new object-generating scripts.

My production quake.pl script injects into the first copy so that
the quake objects end up on the internet streams.

All you need is a TCP listening port that Xastir can connect to in
order to inject stuff for Xastir to receive.

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin