[Xastir] GeoTiff Question

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Sep 19 13:40:22 EDT 2002

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Tom Robson wrote:

> Trying to install GeoTiff and followed all the instructions in the README.1st
> and everything seems to have compiled ok.  Applied the patch of geo_trans for
> the libgeotiff.  Libraries seem to agree with the docs and the directories
> (as stated) have lots of files in them although do not know what to expect.
> Got the following warning on the libgeotiff configure.  Good Bad ??
>
> checking for TIFFOpen in -ltiff... (cached) yes
> checking for tiffiop.h... (cached) no
> configure: warning: Using local copy of libtiff private include files.
> configure: warning: It would be safer to install libtiff private include
> configure: warning: files with the install-private target of libtiff, or
> configure: warning: use --with-libtiff when configuring libgeotiff to build
> configure: warning: against a libtiff build tree.

Going back to re-read some of your older messages about this now.  I
seem to remember that libgeotiff depends a bunch on the libtiff
version, and the tiffiop.h file (and perhaps another one or two?)
has to be fetched out of the libtiff development stuff.  Once you do
that, you can compile libgeotiff just fine.

I think in my case I have the libtiff sources exploded somewhere,
and then the libgeotiff stuff ends up as a subdirectory in libtiff,
and you can then compile the libgeotiff stuff just fine without the
warning listed above.

Eventually it'd be nice if the libtiff/libgeotiff stuff were merged,
or if they stopped changing them both so much and they'd
interoperate better between versions.

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin