[Xastir] KISS TNC redux

Dick Reichenbach dreichen at columbus.rr.com
Sat Sep 28 17:46:58 EDT 2002

Well, I hate to say it, but, knock on wood, I've finally got the KISS
stuff working, and my computer is (hardware) TNCless.

There's no bug here (yet), I just want to announce it to the world.

Runing Solaris on Sparc hardware, the soundmodem software from Baycom
(http://www.baycom.org/~tom/ham/soundmodem/), and the KISS TNC interface
inside XASTIR.  Another neat trick, the radio is a Icom PCR-1000.  So
it's not a transceiver, but the sun is capable of changing the frequency
via the pcrd software.  So I gain one RS232 port and loose one in the
same step, oh well.

Next step is to get the AX.25 networking, er, working.  Already
downloaded WAMPES and it compiled ok, but it's not configured yet.  I
also want to find a SSTV decoder so that the radio can be switched
automaticly between decoding Packet and SSTV or FAX stuff.  I wonder if
the soundmodem software could be modified to provide for a separate
radio on both left and right channels, like another Micro$haft based
program?

Well, I'm so happy that something is working that I'm sure that
something major will go wrong in the next few days. (^8

For what's left of it, have a good weekend.

Dick Reichenbach - KC8OBZ