[Xastir] Some advice on a dedicated Xastir box please?

Brian Heaton brian.heaton at janusresearch.com
Tue Apr 1 13:33:38 EST 2003

Neil,

	I just kicked Xastir (CVS) off and connected it to the Internet
stream.  After a few minutes it was consuming 36M with a few WinAPRS
maps loaded in addition to the stations off the Inet. You probably can
run on 64MB, but with SDRAM prices what they currently are I'd probably
rather have 128-256M in the machine to make it more comfortable.

			THX/BDH

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 12:08, Neil Morris wrote:
> I've been away from Xastir for a while (though reading the list avidly).
> Although I have a meaty machine I could put it on I'm looking at an older
> computer which might make a good home for it, a PII 300 mHz with 64mb pc100.
> It's only going to run Xastir and maybe a couple of other ham apps - is it up
> to the job? I'm thinking it is, as long as 64mb is enough - and I plan to
> stick with WindowMaker or Blackbox or some other minimal window manager.
>
> I have a choice of RedHat 7.2 or SuSE 8.0 to put on it. Which will involve
> the least messing about to get the current cvs version working? I have a
> slight preference for RedHat but I'm comfortable with both.
>
> Opinions/advice/arguments will be gratefully received :-)
>
> Neil
> G0TVJ
Brian D Heaton
Senior Network Engineer