[Xastir] Xastir daemon mode or Igate sofware for FreeBSD?

Thomas D.Simes simestd at netexpress.com
Thu Apr 17 14:57:23 EDT 2003

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:08:59 -0700 (PDT)
"Curt Mills, WE7U" <hacker at tc.fluke.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Thomas D.Simes wrote:
>
> > I am really enjoying playing with APRS and would like to experiment with running an Igate on a headless server.  Right now I am using Xastir by exporting the display via ssh, but I'm looking for either a way to operate Xastir as a daemon (not needing a display) or failing that, software that others have found good for running an Igate on FreeBSD.
>
> Daemon mode is our next project.  We should be starting on it within
> a month or two, so we won't have anything to show for it for quite a
> while.

Thanks for the fast response Curt - the amount of work you pour into this project is AMAZING!  Thank you!!

> aprsd is one option for you.  Perhaps digi_ned might be another?
> I'm not sure whether digi_ned can igate, but it's one heck of a
> smart digi.
>
> If you like playing with code a bit, you can try aprsd.pl, which is
> my extreme subset of aprsd implemented in Perl5.

I'll take a closer look at those, all three popped up when I was searching around a bit - Perl is my swiss army language of choice so I'll probably grab aprsd.pl just to further my understanding of how APRS works "under the hood"

:-)

--
Tom

   "Z-80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, the system's

Thomas D. Simes                                 simestd at netexpress.com