[Xastir] geotiff maps

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Apr 19 03:02:17 EDT 2003

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, aa9vt wrote:

> I recently re-compiled xastir with geotiff support. I tried placing some
> maps in my system and xastir wouldn't start. I guess I am not sure how
> they should be setup or I have mao\ps that are garbage. I am loking for
> some that cover northern Illinois. The ones I have cause a segfault. Is
> there a way to check the files?

There could be two problems:  One:  You might not have installed
libproj and libgeotiff correctly.  They have to be installed in the
correct order and there's an extra file that has to be exploded in
the proj/nad directory as well.

Two:  You might have a MrSID compressed geotiff, or you might have
some other form of "DRG-E" file, instead of a real DRG file.

Try to "display" the file or run "xv" on it.  If you can see the TIFF
image and it has a nice wide white border around it, you've probably
got a real DRG.

Try the geotiff files at http://wetnet.net/~we7u/xastir to see if you
can bring them up ok in Xastir.  Those are real DRG's.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer