[Xastir] The problem...again (Mandrake/ImageMagick)

Brian Heaton brian.heaton at janusresearch.com
Wed Apr 30 13:22:21 EDT 2003

Curt/All,

	Excellent coverage of all the issues.  FWIW, for those that have never
had the pleasure/pain/brain-scrambling of compiling ImageMagick from
source I've pasted the output of "./configure --help" below.  This
should give you an idea of how many little bits there are to flip in
getting ImageMagick into a usable state. Below that I've pasted the
summary output of what gets pulled in from a default "./configure" on my
RH-7.2 laptop that I run Xastir on for development at work.

	As you can see there is a great deal of flexibility in what gets built,
where it gets put, and what APIs it supports.  The one that jumps out at
me is that it doesn't (by default) build shared libraries. Also LZW
support (for GIFs appears to be disabled - not unusual)

	All in all, I think ImageMagick is the external library that gives us
the most fits.  I echo Curt's hope that the GM project will stabilize
the APIs and make things better.

			73/N5VFF (Brian)

------------------ "./configure --help" --------------------------------

Script started on Wed Apr 30 13:07:44 2003
]0;bdheaton at yorktown:~/APRS/XASTIR/ImageMagick-5.5.6[bdheaton at yorktown
ImageMagick-5.5.6]$ ./configure --help
`configure' configures this package to adapt to many kinds of systems.

Usage: ./configure [OPTION]... [VAR=VALUE]...

To assign environment variables (e.g., CC, CFLAGS...), specify them as
VAR=VALUE.  See below for descriptions of some of the useful variables.

Defaults for the options are specified in brackets.

Configuration:
  -h, --help              display this help and exit
      --help=short        display options specific to this package
      --help=recursive    display the short help of all the included
packages
  -V, --version           display version information and exit
  -q, --quiet, --silent   do not print `checking...' messages
      --cache-file=FILE   cache test results in FILE [disabled]
  -C, --config-cache      alias for `--cache-file=config.cache'
  -n, --no-create         do not create output files
      --srcdir=DIR        find the sources in DIR [configure dir or
`..']

Installation directories:
  --prefix=PREFIX         install architecture-independent files in
PREFIX
                          [/usr/local]
  --exec-prefix=EPREFIX   install architecture-dependent files in
EPREFIX
                          [PREFIX]

By default, `make install' will install all the files in
`/usr/local/bin', `/usr/local/lib' etc.  You can specify
an installation prefix other than `/usr/local' using `--prefix',
for instance `--prefix=$HOME'.

For better control, use the options below.

Fine tuning of the installation directories:
  --bindir=DIR           user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
  --sbindir=DIR          system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
  --libexecdir=DIR       program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
  --datadir=DIR          read-only architecture-independent data
[PREFIX/share]
  --sysconfdir=DIR       read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
  --sharedstatedir=DIR   modifiable architecture-independent data
[PREFIX/com]
  --localstatedir=DIR    modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
  --libdir=DIR           object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
  --includedir=DIR       C header files [PREFIX/include]
  --oldincludedir=DIR    C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]
  --infodir=DIR          info documentation [PREFIX/info]
  --mandir=DIR           man documentation [PREFIX/man]

Program names:
  --program-prefix=PREFIX            prepend PREFIX to installed program
names
  --program-suffix=SUFFIX            append SUFFIX to installed program
names
  --program-transform-name=PROGRAM   run sed PROGRAM on installed
program names

X features:
  --x-includes=DIR    X include files are in DIR
  --x-libraries=DIR   X library files are in DIR

System types:
  --build=BUILD     configure for building on BUILD [guessed]
  --host=HOST       cross-compile to build programs to run on HOST
[BUILD]
  --target=TARGET   configure for building compilers for TARGET [HOST]

Optional Features:
  --disable-FEATURE       do not include FEATURE (same as
--enable-FEATURE=no)
  --enable-FEATURE[=ARG]  include FEATURE [ARG=yes]
  --disable-dependency-tracking Speeds up one-time builds
  --enable-dependency-tracking  Do not reject slow dependency
extractors
  --enable-ltdl-install   install libltdl
  --enable-shared[=PKGS]
                          build shared libraries [default=no]
  --enable-static[=PKGS]
                          build static libraries [default=yes]
  --enable-fast-install[=PKGS]
                          optimize for fast installation [default=yes]
  --disable-libtool-lock  avoid locking (might break parallel builds)
  --enable-delegate-build enable using delegate libs in subdirectories
                          (default disabled)
  --disable-installed      disable building an installed ImageMagick
                          (default enabled)
  --enable-libtool-verbose enable verbose libtool output (default
disabled)
  --enable-maintainer-mode enable make rules and dependencies not
useful
                          (and sometimes confusing) to the casual
installer
  --enable-ccmalloc       enable 'ccmalloc' memory debug support
(default disabled)
  --enable-prof           enable 'prof' profiling support (default
disabled)
  --enable-gprof          enable 'gprof' profiling support (default
disabled)
  --enable-gcov           enable 'gcov' profiling support (default
disabled)
  --disable-largefile     disable support for large (64 bit) file
offsets
  --enable-lzw            enable LZW support (default disabled)

Optional Packages:
  --with-PACKAGE[=ARG]    use PACKAGE [ARG=yes]
  --without-PACKAGE       do not use PACKAGE (same as
--with-PACKAGE=no)
  --with-gnu-ld           assume the C compiler uses GNU ld
[default=no]
  --with-pic              try to use only PIC/non-PIC objects
[default=use
                          both]
  --with-tags[=TAGS]
                          include additional configurations [automatic]
  --with-modules          enable support for dynamically loadable
modules
  --with-quantum-depth    number of bits in a pixel quantum (default
16)
  --with-cache            set pixel cache threshhold in MB (default
available memory)
  --without-threads       disable threads support
  --with-frozenpaths      enable frozen delegate paths
  --without-frozenpaths   disable frozen delegate paths
  --without-magick-plus-plus disable build/install of Magick++
  --without-perl          disable build/install of PerlMagick
       or
  --with-perl=PERL        use specified Perl binary to configure
PerlMagick
  --with-perl-options=OPTIONS  options to pass on command-line when
                          generating PerlMagick's Makefile from
Makefile.PL
  --without-bzlib         disable BZLIB support
  --without-dps           disable Display Postscript support
  --without-fpx           disable FlashPIX support
  --without-gslib         disable Ghostscript library support
  --without-jbig          disable JBIG support
  --without-jpeg          disable JPEG support
  --without-jp2           disable JPEG v2 support
  --without-lcms          disable LCMS support
  --without-png           disable PNG support
  --without-tiff          disable TIFF support
  --without-ttf           disable TrueType support
  --without-wmf           disable WMF support
  --with-fontpath=DIR     prepend to default font search path
  --with-gs-font-dir=DIR  directory containing Ghostscript fonts
  --with-windows-font-dir=DIR
                          directory containing MS-Windows fonts
  --without-xml           disable XML support
  --without-zlib          disable ZLIB support
  --with-libstdc=DIR      use libstdc++ in DIR (for GNU C++)
  --with-x                use the X Window System

Some influential environment variables:
  CC          C compiler command
  CFLAGS      C compiler flags
  LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
              nonstandard directory <lib dir>
  CPPFLAGS    C/C++ preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if you
have
              headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>
  CPP         C preprocessor
  CXX         C++ compiler command
  CXXFLAGS    C++ compiler flags
  CXXCPP      C++ preprocessor
  F77         Fortran 77 compiler command
  FFLAGS      Fortran 77 compiler flags

Use these variables to override the choices made by `configure' or to
help
it to find libraries and programs with nonstandard names/locations.

]0;bdheaton at yorktown:~/APRS/XASTIR/ImageMagick-5.5.6[bdheaton at yorktown
ImageMagick-5.5.6]$
Script done on Wed Apr 30 13:07:54 2003

------------------- "./configure" Summary ------------------------

Script started on Wed Apr 30 13:17:04 2003
]0;bdheaton at yorktown:~/APRS/XASTIR/ImageMagick-5.5.6[bdheaton at yorktown
ImageMagick-5.5.6]$ ./conif  figure
configuring ImageMagick 5.5.6
............. Deleted the tests
ImageMagick is configured as follows. Please verify that this
configuration matches your expectations.

Host system type : i686-pc-linux-gnu

Option            Configure option           	Configured value
Shared libraries  --enable-shared=no    	no
Static libraries  --enable-static=yes    	yes
GNU ld            --with-gnu-ld=yes        	yes
LZW support       --enable-lzw=no            	no
Quantum depth     --with-quantum-depth=16 	16

Delegate Configuration:
BZLIB             --with-bzlib=yes          	yes
DPS               --with-dps=yes              	no (failed tests)
FlashPIX          --with-fpx=yes              	no
FreeType 2.0      --with-ttf=yes          	yes
Ghostscript       None                   	/usr/bin/gs
Ghostscript fonts --with-gs-font-dir=default
/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/
Ghostscript lib   --with-gslib=yes       	no
JBIG              --with-jbig=yes        	no
JPEG v1           --with-jpeg=yes        	yes
JPEG v2           --with-jp2=yes          	no
LCMS              --with-lcms=yes        	no
Magick++          --with-magick-plus-plus=yes 	yes
PERL              --with-perl=yes            	/usr/bin/perl
PNG               --with-png=yes          	yes
TIFF              --with-tiff=yes        	yes
Windows fonts     --with-windows-font-dir=	none
WMF               --with-wmf=yes          	no
X11               --with-x=             	yes
XML               --with-xml=yes          	yes
ZLIB              --with-zlib=yes        	yes

X11 Configuration:
  X_CFLAGS     = -I/usr/X11R6/include
  X_PRE_LIBS   = -lSM -lICE
  X_LIBS       = -L/usr/X11R6/lib
  X_EXTRA_LIBS =

Options used to compile and link:
  CC       = gcc
  CFLAGS   = -O2 -march=i686 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common
-fomit-frame-pointer -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -malign-functions=0
-malign-jumps=0 -malign-loops=0 -Wall
  CPPFLAGS = -I/usr/include/freetype2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
-D_REENTRANT -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/libxml2
  CXX      = g++
  CXXFLAGS = -g -O2
  LDFLAGS  = -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib
  LIBS     = -ltiff -lfreetype -ljpeg -lpng -lXext -lSM -lICE -lX11
-lbz2 -lxml2 -lz -lpthread -lm

]0;bdheaton at yorktown:~/APRS/XASTIR/ImageMagick-5.5.6[bdheaton at yorktown
ImageMagick-5.5.6]$
Script done on Wed Apr 30 13:19:04 2003