[Xastir] No stations display on Xastir

Rich Garcia k4gps at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 30 15:50:45 EDT 2003

I have tried all of those and double checked at least 4-5 times. The ONLY
ONE thing I did not check was the symbols.dat file, just getting started
here so I am clueless how this works in Linux.

I will try that as soon as I re-boot, hopefully I will have time this
weekend to set up a 2nd box for Linux only. Anyone have 64megs or more of
72pin sims they want to part with ?? I would like to try to find 4x32 but
would settle for 4X16 all I have is 4X8 and 32megs just don't cut it for me.

Rich K4GPS

From: Curt Mills, WE7U [mailto:hacker at tc.fluke.com]
SNIP>>
Why are stations not showing on my screen?

1) You may have clicked on the "File->Configure->Defaults->Activate
Alternate net" button.  This will put you into a separate group on
APRS where only that group will show on your screen.

2) "Stations->Filter->Data" and/or "Stations->Filter->Display"
togglebuttons may be set in such a manner that nothing shows on your
screen.

3) You may not have received any stations yet (although your own
station should be showing, at 0N/0W if you've just started Xastir
for the first time).

4) If you're hooked to a TNC, your TNC might be set incorrectly,
making it impossible for Xastir to parse the data.  Each packet
should appear as one line coming in, not two.  No timestamps should
be added by the TNC itself.

5) You may be using an unsupported TNC, making it impossible for
Xastir to parse the data.

6) You may not have gotten the symbols.dat file installed in
/usr/local/xastir/symbols/ (default location on a lot of systems).

7) You may not have run the "callpass" program to generate the
proper string to use in connecting to internet servers, or you may
not have entered that string in the correct place for each internet
interface (in the Properties menu for each).