[Xastir] ax.25 & MAC-OS

Dick C. Reichenbach dreichen at columbus.rr.com
Tue Dec 2 13:58:59 EST 2003

Bob Nielsen wrote:

> On 12/02/03 07:42:51, Dick C. Reichenbach wrote:
>
>> If you can get it compile, and that's a big if,  then Xastir will
>> connect right to it without any other software.
>>
>> Dick Reichenbach - KC8OBZ
>

> While usermode soundmodem is different than the old soundmodem kernel
> module, the soundmodem man page indicates that it "integrates tightly
> with the kernel MKISS driver", which implies that AX.25 is still
> required.  Tom's web page says as much for the Linux version, but it
> looks like the Solaris and Windows versions use a different kind of
> AX25 software stack, which would probably be doable on a Mac, but it
> would require programming of the AX25 software hooks.
>
> Bob, N7XY

I did some checking in the past few hours since I blurted out my post.

On my Solaris setup the usermode soundmodem outputs a KISS stream that
Xastir connects directly to, via the Serial KISS TNC interface.  So
there is no mucking around with AX.25 stuff.  I am sure of that, 'cause
(as of a few months ago) it worked on my computer.

The problem is that the Solaris/Sun /dev/audio libaries and the OSS
/dev/dsp libraries which soundmodem uses are incompatible with Carbon
(MacOS X), which according to some websites I've checked, seems to
either use the CoreAudio or Quicktime.
I did find some websites that had some basic hints on porting between
the two.

Sorry to get your hopes up.

Dick R. - KC8OBZ