[Xastir] GPSMan interface

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Wed Dec 10 01:19:16 EST 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 11:18:00PM -0600, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <kd5wim at comcast.net> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':

> Well, I got GPSMan configured so it can pull down the tracks from my Garmin
> Etrex correctly.  GPSMan appears to start up when I select "Fetch GPS Track",
> but the track doesn't appear on the map.  What am I missing?
>
> This is GPSMan 6.0.1 and Xastir 1.2.1 (I am not sure which build, but it would
> have been around November 25 (using the CVS snapshot)

I believe that gpsman tracks are no longer dumped into the system maps
directory upon download, they're placed in your .xastir/gps directory instead.  You need to then copy them to the system directory (or make a symlink from the
system maps directory to your own, but that's assuming you're the only one
using the machine).

Then you have to "add new maps" so they show up in the map chooser, and then
you have to choose them if you haven't already chosen the parent directory.
And you also have to make sure that they are set to have a layer higher than
any raster layers you might be using.  That one threw me for a while, coz
new maps always come in at layer 0, and if your rasters are also at layer 0
*and* they're in a directory whose name is later in the alphabet than "GPS"
the rasters will be on top of the GPS tracks.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/