[Xastir] geoTiff "Problem in translation"

Derrick J Brashear shadow at dementia.org
Wed Dec 17 11:50:06 EST 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, John W. Palmieri wrote:

> Hi:
>
> If this question's been asked before, my apologies. I get
> "prohibited" when trying to get at the list archive.
>
> I'm running xastir v1.2.1, proj v4.4.7, geoTiff v1.2.1, and
> tiff v3.6.0. When I try to load the USGS DRG geoTiff files,
> after running mapfgd.pl, I get the error "Problem in
> translating" and it seems GTIFProj4FromLatLong() is failing
> (see map_tif.c).

Recollection is proj library uses a file prj.def or somesuch to keep a
table in. Use of your favorite system call tracewr to see if xastir is
opening (or trying to) said file should tell you if libgeotiff was
actually compiled with libproj support. My guess is it wasn't.

I'm having a similar problem now, but I know it's not the one you're
having, since it's caused by the CVS head and compiling in GDAL support. I
should get back to debugging it today, but I promise it's not the problem
you're having.