[Xastir] Mandrake 9.2 help with xastir

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Dec 22 11:35:49 EST 2003

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, John Place wrote:

> Yes!
> Just make sure you have all needed libraries installed, libcurl, wget,
> all of ImageMagick, etc.
> I am running the latest snapshot with 9.2 using the Tiger maps.

I had to smile at those last two words:  WHICH tiger maps?  ;-)

I think the answer for your case is #1 below.

1) Tigermap server.  Internet-only.  Doesn't work well for me at
home where I have only a dial-up link.  Works well if you have
cablemodem or DSL though.

2) Tiger/Line files converted to Shapefile format, obtainable at a
couple of places listed in README.MAPS.  I use the ESRI maps and
they makes for nice fast local streetmaps.  Works well for mobile
computers.  These and the USGS topo maps are currently my favorite
maps.

3) Raw Tiger/Line files rendered with the GDAL/OGR libraries (still
being integrated into Xastir) Draws everything in one color, with no
labels or varying line widths, so it's not all that useful yet, but
it will be at some point!  This option allows a lot more than just
Tiger/Line files to be used, and performs coordinate & datum
translation on-the-fly as you're drawing.

The image linked to the Xastir Features web page was done with a
terraserver map (raster), ESRI Shapefile water layers (vector), and
then USGS hypsography layer (vector) on top.  The hypsography layer
was rendered using the OGR library.

Curt, WE7U			    archer at eskimo.com