[Xastir] Still getting crashes

Brian D Heaton brian.heaton at janusresearch.com
Tue Dec 30 16:42:17 EST 2003

Jack,

	A mutex (mutual exclusive) is what protects data in Xastir from being
munged by different parts of the program at the same time.  There are
many "threads" running at the same time.  Each thread is like a
sub-program that can execute on its own, but shares variables and memory
with the other threads of the same main program.

	The error you are getting occurs when Xastir attempts to write
something to the TNC.  It means that the program (actually the thread
library) thinks that the mutex that it wants to use hasn't been setup
properly.

	The big key is whether this happens every time Xastir tries to send
your position out via the TNC.  If so it might point to a different
thing than if it only happens occasionally.  Can you please hit
"Transmit Now" a few times ( a few seconds apart, or course ) and see if
you get the error each time?  If so then please turn off the radio and
try it again.  I'm curious to see if something is hanging up when you go
into the transmit loop while receiving a packet on the serial port.

	I'm off to the movies with the XYL so I'll be back home later this
evening.

				THX/BDH

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 16:36, Jack Reilly wrote:
> Brian -
> Will do.
>
> About an hour ago another
>  interface.c:port_write(1):pthread_mutex_lock(&lock->lock) == EINVAL,etc etc.
> came up.    The map is still intact and data coming in.
>
> Jack    aa6vn at pacbell.net
>

> On Tuesday 30 December 2003 13:01, you wrote:
> > Jack,
> >
> > 	Can you restart Xastir with a "-v 131" and let it run that way for a
> > while?  There is some debugging output available in the TNC routing that
> > looks interesting.

Brian D Heaton
Senior Network Engineer
Janus Research Group