[Xastir] Debugging Topo files...

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Dec 31 13:36:37 EST 2003

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Brian D Heaton wrote:

> IIRC, there are some interactions between the versions of libtiff and
> libgeotiff.  If you're using tiff v3.5.x you have to use the 1.1.x
> libgeotiff series.  There are instructions in the INSTALL file about
> possibly having to move some files from the tiff tree to the geotiff
> tree.  If you use tiff 3.6.x you can use geotiff 1.2.x.
>
> Also, don't forget to put the NAD27 stuff in the correct directory as
> part of your proj install.  I got bit by that one.
>
> If you've done all the above let me know the versions of all the
> libraries you're using and we'll see what we can figure out.

It sure would be nice if the geotiff/shapelib/libproj code wouldn't
bomb out when it runs across something it doesn't like.  I've tried
to fix a few of those here and there, but some are in the libraries
themselves, not in the Xastir code that uses them.  Those have to be
tracked down one by one and sent back to the author.  It doesn't
help that some of the calls have no way to pass back errors.

I've had similar trouble on several systems with the libgeotiff
stuff.  I usually just set the directories to 000 permissions until
I get that stuff fixed.

I'm fighting through hard drive failures both at home and on the
work desktop machines, so won't be too active on the lists for a
bit.  I just did an SuSE 9.0 install on the work machine (with a new
hard drive), so I'll be fighting the same issue as you sometime in
the next week or two.