[Xastir] Word's out: Xastir on Windows...

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Feb 5 14:08:28 EST 2003

I let it slip on the APRSSIG already:  WE7U-14 is currently an
Xastir instance running under Cygwin on an NT4 box.

Charles Suprin has been running Xastir on Windows for several
months.  Tim Schall and I tried it yesterday, Tim using XP and me
using NT4.  On NT4 it appears stable, but I don't have a lot of
runtime with it yet.  On XP it's less than stable on Tim's box.
Charles has been running it on XP and is happy with it.

Xastir should work under Cygwin on Windows 95/95b/98/98SE/ME/NT4/XP.
Please try a few of these configurations and report your findings
back to the list.  Instructions for Cygwin are in the README.1ST
file.

There's more work to be done to get it to link easily.  The default
linker line doesn't work on Cygwin:  You need to use the one
specified in README.1ST instead.  After that, the make install and
execution of Xastir work just fine.

Can I get some help from the Make/Configure experts in order to make
Cygwin installation work out-of-the-box?

Also:  "wget" isn't working yet under Cygwin.  The extra map
libraries haven't been tried either.  What I've tried of the
built-in maps has worked so far though.  You put the maps under
/cygwin/usr/local/bin/xastir/maps instead of
/usr/local/bin/xastir/maps.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin