[Xastir] Can't get tnc & net data at the same time

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Feb 5 14:14:03 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Jack Reilly wrote:

> It looks like I am into something over my head. I now have have an XASTIR
> directory with the 13 files and 2 subdirectories of the Feb 2 release.  I
> have gone thru all the README , FAQ etc but find only configuring info ...
> nothing about how I compile/install it.
>
> For my present xastir, the Suse tool YAST took care of the installation, so
> now I'm really stuck. Can you tell my what I do next?

There's a lot to learn, isn't there?  ;-)  Most of it should be in
the README.1ST.  If we're lacking there, or it can be made more
obvious to first-time users, please let us know:  We'll change it!

Xastir uses the same commands as most other free software out there.
Here are the steps to get it running:

    ./configure (configures it)
    make (compiles it)
    make install-strip (or "make install")
    su (become root)
    chmod 4555 /usr/local/bin/xastir (change permissions)
    exit (from root)

After that, you should be able to type "xastir &" and it should come
right up.

Let me know if you need anything else.  We actually LIKE to help our
users.  ;-)  There are additional libraries you can compile in for
more map support.

FWIW:  I'm running several SuSE 7.3 systems.  SuSE is a good choice.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin