[Xastir] linux question

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Thu Feb 6 17:05:39 EST 2003

At 13:56 -0800 2/6/03, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
>On 7 Feb 2003, brenda wrote:
>  > if you install something using the ./configure;make install method....
>  > how do you uninstall???
>
>There may be other make targets listed in the Makefiles, such as
>"distclean" and "clean", etc.

Usually those clean out the source tree, by removing .o files and such.

>There may be a target in the Makefiles distributed with some
>software that can be used for uninstalling.
>
>I see an "uninstall" tag in our Makefile.  Never tried it.

Me neither, but my usual habit is to watch the output of 'make
install' and make a note in my system log of where things are put.
The truly well-organized could even consider archiving those
messages, which typically detail everything that is copied into the
filesystem. And of course 'make -n install' is your friend if you're
concerned about what the makefile is planning to do to your system ;)

Bill.