[Xastir] Couldn't allocate color problem

Chris Bell cbell at junknet.com
Tue Feb 11 17:56:14 EST 2003

> I have just started using Xastir and it is great.
>
> I have what I hopr is a small problem. At startup, I get multiple
> "Warning: Couldn't allocate color xxxxxxxx" messages, where xxxxxxx is the
> name of a color (e.g. DarkGreen, brown, plum, etc). There are about 76
> messages.

Just to add what Curt said, there is also a "-i" switch to install a
private colormap.  This should fix the color allocations, but you will
probably have colormap flashing: when you switch between windows the
non-selected windows will get strange colors.

Normally you want to increase the number of colors your display
supports, but this is an alternative.  ( Most of my Sun Sparcstations
have 8-bit framebuffers, so can only do 256 colors.)

Chris.
KD6ZWR
cbell at junknet.com