[Xastir] Other Maps

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Feb 13 08:24:55 EST 2003

No, but they APPEAR to have more "current" maps.

Virtually all of the vendors acquire their initial maps from TigerMap data.

The latest versions of Tiger data (1996) are pretty good.  The aerial
work was done better than before, and this time, digitizing was
automated significantly.

SOME of the mapping companies take advantage of many states' efforts to
maintain basemaps.  If you're looking for good _quality_ maps, find out
where your State archives its maps and if they're available in the
public domain.  In Texas, it's http://www.tnris.state.tx.us under
Digital Data (or StratMap)... Most states offer their data someplace.

There are also a number of websites offering some limited downloads of
various data hoping that, if you like getting data from them for free,
you'll buy data from them for real||bigger projects.

To date, neither Microsoft nor DeLorme have made a significant effort to
clean up their maps in areas I frequent and have access to "real" data
to allow checking, even though the Texas data are completely placed in
the public domain...

What most of the commercial packages do is add background shading or
color political, recreational or federal bounding areas, offering a
prettier picture.  In general, from a cartographic or geodetic point of
view, the maps from the various companies have proven to be more or less
good to +/- 150m... or, not that good.  Tiger's got better accuracy than
that... but their failing is that the digitizing and geocoding are not
done locally.

USGS, who acquires all the data that go into Tiger, has a solid
partnership with at least 35 States, last I heard, but I did miss the
last meeting in Austin where that would have been presented; Texas is
one of those partners.  Texas participates in the aerial campaigns,
assists with the geocoding and overall quality assurance.

If there're questions, I can either answer 'em or get the answers from
USGS or State resources...

Your friendly Satellite Geodesist,
Gerry N5JXS