[Xastir] New configure.ac script - RPM upgrades

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Feb 14 02:06:57 EST 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, KC7ZRU - Tate wrote:

> Maybe someone else can come up with a concise method of upgrading to the
> required autoconf/automake using rpm. I ain't gonna.
>
> More recent rpm versions (meeting the minimums - just) of both I could
> find are on Redhat's ftp server in their 'rawhide' directory.
>
> Instant dependency hell scared the bajeebies outta me and I swiftly went
> for the sources.
>
> Much cleaner

Oftentimes that's the case.

For me, running SuSE 7.3, I just brought up and FTP session against
ftp.suse.com, found the 8.1 stuff, and snagged the latest RPM's of
autoconf and automake.  They installed on 7.3 just fine and I was in
business.  Sorry it took so much more effort on your part!

I learned this in my reading lately:  There are two different trains
of thought w.r.t. the autotools stuff.  1) Distribute the derived
files so that the users just have to type "configure;make;make
install", or 2) Distribute the configure.ac file only and have the
users create the derived files themselves.

Xastir used to be in camp 1).  Now we're in camp 2).  Time will tell
if this works out better for us.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer