[Xastir] Garmin Waypoints

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Feb 26 12:46:47 EST 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Mike Fenske wrote:

> Hello Curt (and all). I am having a problem with the waypoint-get.pl script
> for creating objects from Garmin GPS waypoints. I was just given a Garmin
> Etrex Mariner and thought I would try setting the waypoints as objects. The
> scripts seems to run fine (no errors) and creates the log file OK. There
> are 4 waypoints in the GPS and 4 entries in the log file, but the lat/long
> for all 4 is 0/0.
>
> Here is the log file:
>
> SAR>APRS:)   `  !0000.00N/00000.33W/
> SAR>APRS:)   `  !0000.00N/00000.33W/
> SAR>APRS:)   `  !0000.00N/00000.33W/
> SAR>APRS:)   `  !0000.00N/00000.33W/

Doesn't look to healthy, does it?  Did you have it in Garmin/Garmin
mode when you initiated the transfer?

I'm not sure I can help much as I don't own an Etrex.  I own a
couple of Garmins, but only one is capable of waypoints at all and
it's older, a GPS-II+.  That's what I tested with.

It might be time to contact the person who wrote that Perl module or
check CPAN to see if a newer version of the module exists.

I'm working on yet another way of doing this involving a separate
program controlled by Xastir to do the transfers.  You just reminded
me that I need to get back to that project sometime soon.  It'll be
cool once it's all integrated.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin