[Xastir] Re: [Xastir-Dev] Debian and Shapelib

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sun Jan 12 23:53:58 EST 2003

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> Debian's libshp-dev (1.2.9) puts shapefil.h in /usr/include and maps.c
> (latest CVS, at least) will not compile as-is.
>
> I am not very familiar with C programming (Fortran, anyone?), but
> changing line 73 of maps.c from:
>
> #include "libshp/shapefil.h"
>
> to:
>
> #include "shapefil.h"
>
> or
>
> #include <shapefil.h>
>
> causes maps.c to compile without errors.  I'm not sure which is the
> correct syntax, but either seems to work.

This is (I think) a problem for us.  The standard place that the
Shapelib source distribution installs this file is:

	/usr/local/include/libshp/shapfil.h

This means that from a standard include directory, we have to go into
a subdirectory before we can find it.  That's why we have "libshp" in
the callout for the include file.

Since Debian decided to move the include file in their distribution
of Linux (and I can't really say that it's not the right place to put
it!), we have to figure out how to do the include line for both types
of installs.  Perhaps some #ifdef's could do it?

What would be really slick is to run through all of the possible
include and library paths for the libraries that Xastir can use, and
configure everything based on that.  Perhaps there are some features
in autoconf/automake/etc that we aren't using?

I think Chuck was working on some new autoconf-type stuff.  Perhaps
there's an easy resolution on this issue.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer