[Xastir] Redhat 8.0 Font Problems w/Xastir

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Jan 14 19:16:53 EST 2003

Bug Report:
-----------
Several users have reported seeing these messages in the Xterm:

    Warning:
    Name: create_appshell text_output
    Class: XmTextField
    Character '\171' not supported in font.  Discarded.

The characters (octal encoding) appear to say things like "Zoom
2259" and "Loading filename".  It looks like the wrong font is being
selected for text_output and text_output2 widgets, or perhaps some
font is not loaded automatically by RedHat 8.0 that we've used up to
this point.

Resolution:
Found this on a Netscape/Mozilla web page:  "This is a bug in some
versions of the OpenWindows X server that causes it to pick fonts
which are only 1 pixel high, making text fields unusable. It may
help to re-order your font path with "xset fp" to move or exclude
the "Adobe" fonts from the list. We do not yet know of a reliable
workaround."

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin