[Xastir] Looking for serial->IP widget

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Jan 15 14:59:29 EST 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:

> A more short-term solution:
> ---------------------------
> 1) Use Xastir's logging functions to store everything received in
> log files.
>
> 2) Use cron to split them up by day/hour/whatever and perhaps
> archive/expire them.
>
> 3) Tweak Xastir so that when it starts up, it auto-slurps the log
> files (or some of them).
>
> You could also set up a Perl server that's local to your box, and
> have it feed Xastir when Xastir first starts up.  I have code that
> you could start from, to make this job easier.

Another possibility:

I wrote aprsd.perl a while back.  I still use it here quite a bit.
You could tweak it to queue up the data received, and dump it all
down to Xastir like the big boys do.  It also should be able to
handle a serial port, but I haven't done that in a while.

I use it to connect to three (or more) local servers, and then I
connect multiple Xastir instances to it.a

It's on my ftp site.  There's a link to that site off my web pages
at http://www.eskimo.com/~archer

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin