[Xastir] Looking for serial->IP widget

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Wed Jan 15 15:07:37 EST 2003

At 11:46 -0800 1/15/03, Jack Twilley wrote:
>I am looking for a small, simple program that will sit on my serial
>port, listen to my TNC, and store the data in files based on date/time
>information.  This program must also provide a server that is
>compatible with Xastir.  I guess what I'm looking for is an igate but
>with logging.

I have (had - it's down right now) a setup that does something
similar. My shack is in a corner of the basement, but I like to run
Xastir on a Linux machine in my office upstairs. So I have a Baycom
modem connected to a serial port on an old Linux PC in the shack,
running the kernel AX.25 drivers. I then connect aprsd to the kernel
port, and have Xastir talk to it over my house Ethernet. I can
simultaneously run the 'listen' utility that comes with the kernel
AX.25 tools and log packets locally on the shack PC, or I can telnet
into aprsd from the upstairs machine(s) and log there. Extending that
to have daily files would be a simple matter of scripting - even I
might be able to manage it ;)

Bill.