[Xastir] Looking for serial->IP widget

James Jefferson jjeffers at aprsworld.net
Wed Jan 15 15:36:22 EST 2003

> 2) Create an SQL database that's fed by the I/O daemon.

I've been running aprsworld.net for over it year. It collects approximately a
million packets a day, parses them, and inserts them into the appropriate
table(s). It works, I'm serving thousands of visitors a month that data. But
it is *VERY* IO and CPU intensive. SQL databases are general purpose and
cannot easily be optomized for the demands that Xastir would place on it.

For short term storage the database works great, mainly because everything is
in memory. I have tables of the last position, weather, and telemetry of all
stations. They are small and work well. But the big tables with all of the
positions for all stations become a nightmare. They are really hard on the IO
sub-system and a complete mess when they get corrupted.

I brought this up last time we talked about using a SQL database backend.  So
once again I urge serious consideration and prototyping before basing Xastir
on a relational database. Properly designed and coded datastructures are
always going to be faster.

FWIW I am in the process of moving the weather and position tables to being
filesystem based rather then RDMS based. I'll report on that to this list
once I have some performance comparisons.

-Jim KB0THN