[Xastir] Looking for serial->IP widget

Steve Dimse k4hg at tapr.org
Wed Jan 15 19:38:34 EST 2003

On 1/15/03 at 5:18 PM jjeffers at aprsworld.net (James Jefferson) sent:

>> Less than half a second to get any day's weather in the last three years is
>> not bad at all! This is on the production system, handling all the other
>> demands on findU. This sort of thing is where a major RBD shines.
>
>Steve - this is exactly what I am talking about. 0.43 seconds is good if you
>think of an archival system, but for waiting for a dialog box to pop up in
>0.43 seconds will seem like an eternity to a user.

Well, I don't agree with your definition of eternity, I think few users really
care about sub-second delays. Even with a simple map, by the time XASTIR or any
other client is plotting a few thousand stations, like on a US map, the delay is
well over than 0.43 seconds, yet it is rare to hear a complaint aboiut this.

I still agree with your underlying point that RBD is not the best tool for a
client program, I was not arguing againt that point at all.

>The point, as I understand of Xastir, is the live user. We have findu.com and
>aprsworld.net, and others for accessing archived data. I don't think xastir
>needs to be the sort of system that makes everyone's desktop machine into
>another long term archive.

And I agreed with that point. My point here was presenting an opposing viewpoint
to your comment that "the big tables with all of the positions for all stations
become a nightmare". There is no reason that big tables should become a
nightmare...big tables are the reason that RDBs exist!

Steve K4HG