[Xastir] New user...

Mark Dieterich n2pgd at cox.net
Sat Jan 25 12:09:31 EST 2003

Curt,

Good news, I think...  I recompiled the latest cvs version on my home
machine and it stayed up all night.  It was running with transmit
enabled for both internet and RF.  I did have one lock up problem last
night, but I think it was a serial port issue.  Xastir would start up,
but whenever I enabled the ttyS0 port, it would just hang in a read
loop.  I reset the TNC and this didn't change the result.  I eventually
ended up rebooting the machine and it's been working ever since.  I'm
not sure how I got it into the lock up situation, but I'll keep tinkering.

> Could it be an RF lockup problem?  RF getting back into the TNC or
> the computer?  You might try the same test, but put the radio in
> extreme low-power mode and enable transmit.

I don't think it's an RF issue, I'm only about 3 miles from a WIDE node, so
I always run on low power.   I had been running WinAPRS for about a year
in this configuration before I got a high speed internet connection at
home.  I never experienced a lock TNC lockup problem.

I almost have the machine fully configured again after nuking windows
two nights ago, not bad ;)  I'll have to post some pictures once I'm
done.  It's actually running on a tabletPC and my goal is to only have
pen input!  I've got to start configuring the handwriting recognition
software this weekend, but this should be the last big hurdle.

73,

Mark