[Xastir] nws-stations.txt

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Jan 29 15:53:34 EST 2003

On 30 Jan 2003, brenda wrote:

> can someone explain to me please
> what is NWS? and what is an IGUP beacon?

More America'isms...

NWS = National Weather Service.  Actual nation is not specified, but
is the U.S.  Our weather server (run by Dale Huguely) converts
weather alerts into APRS packets that Xastir can then gate to local
RF.  We have a file that specifies which area alerts to go local RF.
Those alerts then trigger various shapefile maps to pop up on top of
your regular maps and tint the areas of concern.

IGUP was explained to me during the last go-around with this.  I
think it's a beacon sent out periodically over RF that let's
stations in the area know that they're within range of a functional
Igate.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin