[Xastir] Re: HSP Cable Problem and now Segfault

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Jul 3 12:10:50 EDT 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Stephen West-Fisher wrote:

> Summary from previous email:
> Bought Kantronics HSP cable to connect to single port KPC3. GPS works,
> and transmit works, but I never receive any stations. Minicom shows
> received packets, but xastir does not.

That sounds like the handshake on your RS-232 line used for
switching between GPS and TNC is always in one state, probably in
the ON state.

> This morning I noticed that xastir had halted, "Caught Segfault! Xastir
> will terminate Last incoming line was:" and a line from the GPS. This
> isn't at startup, this is after it has been running a while.
>
> This is xastir 1.2.0, using the maps downloaded from Rutgars, I didn't
> add any of the optional libraries.
>
> Could the segfault have any bearing on this?

We can sometimes get segfaults due to "killer" packets, but this is
relatively uncommon these days.  We've plugged most of those holes.

Have the line that was presented to you?  Did you have logging
turned on at the time and can snag the last line out of there?

Present that line to me, preferably by tail'ing the logfile into
another file and attaching it to an email (in case there are extra
non-printable characters in there) and I can run that through here
to see if I get a segfault as well.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin