[Xastir] shapefile maps?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Jul 11 10:16:51 EDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Glen Briggs [iso-8859-1] KBØRPJ wrote:

> anyone have locations of good shape files maps.. currently I'm using the
> counties, lakes, and interstates, know of any others?

Yea.  There are lots of others:

See README.MAPS and the Features link on the Xastir home page.

See the geographynetwork.com web site.

See the NOAA web sites.

See the esri.com web site (tigerline maps converted to shapefiles
and lots of other shapefile maps, they invented and documented the
map format).  I use the Tigerline->Shapefile maps mostly.

Your counties GIS department may have ESRI Shapefile formatted maps
of your county.  Sometimes these need to be converted from state
plane coordinate system to lat/long.  See README.MAPS for the
procedure.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin