[Xastir] sharing linux serial ports?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Jul 18 12:00:03 EDT 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Matt Werner wrote:

> Is it possible to use a serial port from one computer on a different
> computer through ethernet?

Yes.

> I want to be able to access a serial port on a RH Linux box from my Windows
> cygwin box.  The Windows machine is a 2ghz, which the RH is only something
> like 200mhz.  The difference in map loading speeds makes it worth trying to
> use the TNC from the RH machine - my XP machine doesn't have a free serial
> port.

What I would suggest is that you run one of the flavors of "aprsd"
on your Linux box, then connect to one of the aprsd listening
sockets from your Cygwin box.  That should work well.  It'll also
allow you to bring up Xastir on the Linux box and use the same
ports.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin