[Xastir] Feature bloat?

Henk de Groot henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl
Sun Jun 15 17:11:22 EDT 2003

Hello Steve,

At 09:49 15-6-03 -0400, Steve Dimse wrote:
>Actually, it'd probably be better to do this on a packet by packet basis...if
>any particular packet is heard but not digied, then digi it. I think digi-ned
>has this capability, but not sure.

No, it has not. This has been suggested a number of times but the problem
is, I don't know how to do it! There is no solid way to detect if the
nearby digi digipeated the signal since its station call is not included in
the packet most of the time. For example:

Assume I only receive K4HG>APRS,RELAY*,WIDE3-2 but nothing else. It does
not tell me much. The backup digi may have missed the original packet,
which is likely if the backup has a smaller footprint than the main-site.
Our backup can not see if it got this packet from a far-away digi or from
the main-digi since there is no identification which station altered
WIDE3-3 into WIDE3-2.

If the backup digi has the same range as the main-digi then I could receive
K4HG>APRS,RELAY*,WIDE3-2 and then K4HG>APRS,RELAY*,WIDE3-1. Does that mean
that my nearby main-digi heard it? Since the digi should see a few of the
surrounding digis it could just as well be a second copy from another
distant digi.

The only packets I can positively identify as comming from the "main" digi
are the ones in which its call is included. This is however only a small
portion of the packets, I think this is one of the huge diadvantages of
WIDEn-N; you can't see who transmitted the copy.

What is missing is a signal strenght indication in the packet. If it was 60
dB over S9 then I would know that a very local station send that packet,
e.g. the main digi.

There are 3 other solutions I can think of that technically work:

The most advanced solution is that the main and backup-digi would have some
background communication with eachother to tell about the packets received.
When one goes down, the other completely takes over. But with a background
link between the stations a much easier solution is to have 2 receivers
coupled via the digipeater to one transmitter! Of course that is very easy
to do with DIGI_NED, just make a crossband configuration with 2 receivers
on the same band and only 1 transmitter. If you want redundancy include a
signalling wire to activate the transmitter in the backup digi when the
main-site's transmitter is down.

A second solution is to equip the main-digi with a 70cm second band. Then
accros town erect a recever station that transmits all received packets via
70cm to the main-digi. The main digi will ignore packets received on 70cm
as duplicate if it got the original direct on 2 meters and digipeat the
packet when it missed the original. You can configure it such way that you
don't loose an extra hop. You can even make the extra receiver station
analog, just pass all received data from 2m onto 70cm in audio...

The last option I can think off is just to have enough digipeaters in the
grid, if you miss a packet then you will see another copy from another digi
in your view. I think this was the original idea. With overlapping digi's
you don't loose much coverage if one goes down. Of course this eats extra
bandwidth...

There is no free lunch in any of these solutions. All these three
alternative solutions are technially feasible however.

For a client program which originates packes, like Xastir or even a HamHud
device, it is much easier to detect if they got digipeated. They just
broadcast the original themselfs and only have to look for a single echo of
the packet to see if they got digipeated.

If somebody comes up with a solid algotithm how to do make a working backup
digi I will be happy to implement it to try it out. Up to now I didn't find
a working method.

Kind regards,

Henk.