[Xastir] Map Files

Bill Owens N2RKL bill-xastir at owensfamily.org
Mon Jun 30 16:08:47 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 11:51:34AM -0400, Stephen West-Fisher wrote:
> However, I have two problems. One is RADAR maps. I download the geo
> files, insert the IMAGESIZE 620 620, and while I get something, it looks
> like the resolution is quite large on the downloaded maps, pretty much
> making them unusable. Minor issue, and I'm sure it's the nut loose
> behind the keyboard.

I had the same reaction - one pixel on the radar map pretty well covers
my entire housing development ;) I do understand that the radar only has
so much resolution, natively, and I'm still very happy to have seen the
increase in availability of radar products over the last few years. What
I'd really like to be able to do, though, is get just the radar returns
- no "map" lines or place names. I think that I could probably archive
a copy of the radar output during a time when there were no returns,
and arrange a script that would subtract that from the active radar,
but I haven't played with it yet. I suppose before I do that I should
ask the list whether anyone else has solved that particular annoyance yet?

BTW, did you download the geo files that have the radar images, or the
ones with the radar estimated precipitation? I had the latter at first,
and only found the conventional radar ones by accident. And of course
there are lots of other NWS products available if you want to wander
around their server.

Bill N2RKL