[Xastir] Object Clearing

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Mar 3 14:14:44 EST 2003

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Tom Robson wrote:

> On March  3, 2003 10:21 am, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Tom Robson wrote:
> > > I guess the next obvious question.... is there a way to clear this as
> > > well without restarts to calm down the RF traffic.  Hate to restart
> > > xastir to just to clear these sort of things...
> > > Maybe I'm being to picky.  Should I enter it on the list?
> >
> > Yea.  What's the preferred method?  Yet another menu entry, perhaps
> > near the "Clear Object/Item History" entry?
>
> Could the memory be cleared the same time as object is cleared.  Or perhaps
> be cleared a few transmissions later just to make sure it cleared from others
> screens.   I don't think we need another button...

I _think_ that it might take more than a few transmissions,
depending on who has received the object.  For local RF with short
paths it might work ok to just send a couple of killed objects and
then stop sending them.  For an area like ours where you can be
going 100's of miles in each direction, you really need to send the
killed object for a quite a while.  It also knocks it off of
people's screens that could be connected via internet anywhere in
the world.

Exactly what is the problem with sending the killed objects?
Worried about bandwidth?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin