[Xastir] Built on Linux-PPC, but can't transmit my position

Jeff Laughlin jlaughli at vtc.edu
Tue Mar 4 23:00:32 EST 2003

Hey

I just built the latest XASTIR, xastir114-2003-Mar-03, on a PowerMac 7500
running Yellow Dog Linux. So there's one more platform to chalk up on the
list. Actually I've also built previous versions on YDL as well. You can
see some screenshots of it running in my balloon tracking archive on
http://airtime.vtc.edu

Everything has been going pretty smoothly, it's talking to the serial ports
and my GPS unit and my TH-D7a. The problem I'm having is that it will NOT
transmit my position! I can create an object on the map and it transmits
the OBJECT'S position, so I KNOW it's able to talk to the TNC. But I set
the beacon interval to 30 seconds and it never transmits. I click "Transmit
Now!" and it doesn't. BTW I DID check "Allow Transmit" :)

To debug the problem I ran a null-modem cable over to my other box and
sniffed XASTIR's serial output. It appears to correctly initialize the TNC,
and again if I create an object or send a message, it gets sent to the TNC
correctly. But my own station position reports never get sent to the TNC.

I'm not an XASTIR newb, I've been playing around with it for years. But
this is the first time I've ever used it for TRANSMITTING. What am I doing
wrong?
-73, Jeff